Monday, March 31, 2008

The Sugar Thing

OK, Steve's having a hey day with this challenge, especially the sugar part. Sugar and I have an unhealthy relationship, thus the goal to cut it out completely - except for Sundays, of course.. we need a little time together here and there so I don't go nuts.
Anyway, anytime I pick anything up that has sugar as an ingredient, like bread for instance, he immediately asks me - usually with a smirk - if I can eat that. He then threatens to call Sandra. So, just for clarification sake if/when he does call you, Sandra, to "tell on me," no sugar means the obvious stuff: no candy, cakes, pies, brownies, cookies, ice cream, handfuls of sugar, etc. It's nearly impossible to not eat something with a sugar ingredient, but I'm trying to be mindful enough to not deliberately put sugar in my body. Got it? Hope we're all on the same page. :)
Conscious is clean and Steve has nothing to threat me with now. :)

7 comments:

Sandra said...

WHAT!?! No handfuls of sugar!?! ;)

I was actually thinking about this very thing a few days ago when I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Jelly obviously has sugar in it, but I decided then that for me "no sugar" means no treats. If I could have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a nutritionists blessing while I had gestational diabetes then it should be okay, right? If you all disagree please let me know. It's not an every day indulgence, but I love me some pb&j!

So Julie, I can be expecting a call from Steve if you cheat, huh? He cracks me up!

Julie said...

Yeah, he's watching me like a hawk! :)

Myndie said...

Julie, you are funny. Sandra, have you tried Smucker's sugar free jelly? It actually taste really good. Just food for thought.

Sandra said...

I have tried smuckers sugar free jelly but I make my own jelly and there is *nothing* as yummy as homemade raspberry jelly on a pb&j! I'm also trying to not eat artificial sweeteners right now. I think part of my problem that I've had losing weight is that my body hasn't been getting the nutrients that it needs. I've been trying to eat low cal/ no sugar and subsituting things. Now I'm trying to eat real, natural foods as much as possible. Does that make sense? That means I won't eat the sugar free puddings and jellos that I've eaten in the past but hopefully this will help break me of my sugar addictions.

Julie said...

You know, it's been amazing to me to see how much I DON'T want sugar now. I think, for me at least, it was more of a habitual or emotional thing. Now I just ask myself if it will be worth losing a point over and think about how it will really taste and I usually end up not wanting it.
I agree with you, Sandra, on the natural stuff. Steve's been preaching that to me for years - eat normal food just in moderation - it's been around forever and people have only recently begun gaining weight like they have (since artificial sweetener came out). Just food for thought.

Myndie said...

Yes, that makes sense Sandra:) Do you think you could post how you make your own jam?

Sandra said...

Sure, I just follow the recipe on the "sure jell" pectin. It's mashed fruit or fruit juice, sugar and boiling water mixed with the pectin and then stirred into the sugar/fruit mixture. The amounts of each thing depend on what kind of jelly you are making. They just changed the recipe so it doesn't include corn syrup any more. I make strawberry, grape and raspberry. I always make freezer jelly so I don't have to "can" it, I just store it in the freezer until we need some more. I can't even buy store bought jelly anymore, it's just not as good. I try to make enough every summer so I won't run out.

Sandra