Wednesday, April 2, 2008

From Today's Workout..

I was all about lunges and pilates today.. I'm going to be in pain. My bum already hurts. :)

This is one of my favorite pilates moves:
Front/Back
A. Lie on your left side with both legs extended. Align your left side with the edge of your mat so that your shoulders, back, and bum are parallel with the mat's edge. Prop your head with your left hand just behind your left ear. Place your right palm on the mat in front of your abs for support. (For a greater challenge, you can place your right hand on your head.) Then bring your legs forward 45 degrees in front of your body, keeping your bum, hips, back and shoulders aligned with the mat's edge. Lift your right leg about an inch above your left. As you inhale, slowly sweep your right leg forward, only sweep your leg as far forward as you can without losing the alignment in your hips. Your right hipbone should remain stacked above your left, not tilted forward or back.
B. Once you've swept your leg as far forward as you can, exhale as you sweep it back behind your body and slightly up. Keep your abs strong throughout and squeeze your bum. Do 8-12 reps then switch legs. Do 2 sets.
*The key to this one is to not move any part of your body except for your legs. It works your abs, hips, legs, and bum and is AWESOME!

This is my favorite stretch, courtesy of Denise Austin (who's my hero!).
Pigeon
Get on your hands and knees. Bring your left knee forward between your hands, just to the inside of your left wrist, placing your left foot closer to your right hand. Exhale and extend back through your right leg, sinking deeper into the stretch. Hold for 20 seconds, breathing normally, then release and repeat with the other leg.
(You're basically sitting on the outer part of your knee and thigh with your other leg extended behind you. I like to lean forward and put my head on the floor in front of me - such a good stretch!)

2 comments:

Sandra said...

So, are you sore today? Does it hurt to sit? I love pilates. We have a whole series we do like the one you described, it's a great bum lifter!

Julie said...

It's the getting up/sitting down that's uncomfortable, but it's a good sore. :) I'm finally getting past the lactic acid stage where I was feeling sick when I was sore.. thank goodness! :)